Tuesday 9 October 2012

My Wake-up Call


Just when you think you know what you're talking about, on top of your game, along comes something to shake you back to reality.

My wake-up call came in the shape of Ed Wellman, a student at Lincolnshire University.   Last week, at the end of my monthly radio broadcast on Alex Lewczuk's “Midweek Drive” on Southside Broadcasting,
this one on the desperate plight of Africa's elephants being poached to the brink of extinction to feed China's obsession for ivory – Alex asked if any of the show's studio guests had a question for me.

Not a question”, Ed Wellman said, “but rather a confession.” He went on to say that he'd recently learned that almost half the people didn't know that elephants had to be killed for their tusks. They thought that the animals were trapped, the tusks cut off & the elephant released unharmed.
I have to confess”, he said,” that I was one of them.”

It shocked me because it had never dawned on me that everyone wasn't aware of the bloody slaughter of elephants for the Chinese use of ivory as a status symbol for wealth & power.

So much for taking things for granted.

I wonder how many of you were unaware of how ivory is collected? Please let me hear from you on this point. Because I'm passionate about saving this wondrous creature from vanishing, I need to know all I can learn about communicating their desperate situation to a wide audience.

If you didn't hear my talk on Oct 3rd you can download it on http://www.southsidebroadcasting.podbean.com/

Please become involved & together we can work to stop this senseless massacre. You can learn more about this also at: http://www.bornfree.org.uk/

Thank you all. Please check in to this page for updates. I'm not the most consistent, but I get there & hopefully more often.

Cheers, Annette


No comments:

Post a Comment